Welcome back to our Playing with Paste week here on our blog. There is a fabulous crackle embossing paste featured in our tutorial today that will have your mojo stirring up projects to make and there are also some great projects posted by some of our design team that you won’t want to miss. Take the links below to see their projects now then come back to see the tutorial with a crackling effect!
This great tutorial originally posted on the Paper Craft Planet blog by alumni design team member Cyndi Bundy and we’re happy to bring it to this week of special how-to’s with embossing paste. The tutorial includes all the materials and instructions to make the completed card from Cyndi’s project, however to create the crackle technique the first seven steps can be followed along with supplies marked with an asterisk (*) in the list below.
- DWLJ923 Mittens*
- DWDMBP Matte Black Embossing Paste*
- DWCEP Crackle Embossing Paste*
- SSC1147 Tis The Season Perfectly Clear Stamps Set
- Stenciling Tools (Palette Knife, Paste Spreader)*
- EP020 Clear Embossing Powder
- EP210 Chinese Red Embossing Powder
- Perfectly Clear Acrylic Stamp Handle
- VM001 VersaMark Watermark Ink Pad
- Pattern Paper
- Zip-Dry™ Paper Glue
- Cleaning supplies (shallow container with water, soft hand brush, paper towels and soft cloth)*
- Alcohol Ink Pad
- Removable clear tape*
- Sponge applicator
- Heat Tool
- Tape Mittens stencil down on all 4 sides making sure to start with the top so you will have a hinge.
- Apply the Matte Black Embossing Paste using the Paste Spreader. (The first layer will be the color that peeks through the crackle so a darker shade gives a nice contrast.)
- Scrape off the excess paste from around the edges and return it to container, cleaning rim before tightly putting on the lid.
- Remove tape working backwards. Remove stencil using the tape hinge technique. Let this layer dry thoroughly.
- Clean your stencil in water with soft brush and dry then reapply the stencil over the first layer of paste. Line it up almost perfectly, but at a slight diagonal. This will allow for the stencil to sit on top of the paste and the bridges of the stencil will have a higher surface to lie on.
- Tape down stencil and apply crackle paste.
- Remove tape and clean the stencil. Allow the paste to dry. And then magic happens; the crackles will appear when it dries!
At this point you can leave the crackle paste as is for a matte white finish or add color and shine with the following steps.
- Apply ink with sponge applicator to crackle paste until desired look is achieved. Ink can be applied through a cleaned stencil (as shown) or without the stencil for a distressed look.
- Sprinkle Clear Embossing Powder over wet ink, tap off the excess returning to container and heat being careful to stop before the stenciled paste starts to bubble.
- Glue finished stenciling onto cardstock mat and adhere to cardstock base.
- Place sentiment from Tis The Season Perfectly Clear Stamps Set onto acrylic stamp handle and stamp onto coordinating paper with Versamark Watermark ink.
- Emboss with Chinese Red embossing powder. Trim and fold to look like banner.
- Adhere sentiment onto card base.
The finished effect creates an amazing project, just think of all the possibilities for decor and gifts with this technique. See you tomorrow for more great projects and another video tutorial.